Own weather web site server & lightning detector

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Own weather web site server & lightning detector

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:45 pm

After several trials and a few software bugs I have finally managed to host my own website. No longer having to rely on a 3rd-party for their service I am hosting my Otter Valley Weather website on my own hard drive on my weather computer. There is a program within Windows 10 (and earlier versions) called IIS (Internet Information Services) that can be activated and it is then relatively straightforward to get Windows to act as a website server running in the background. It uses minimal CPU and memory and yet the size of your website is only limited by the size of your hard drive.

I am on fibre-to-cabinet here with an upload speed of around 10 Mbits/second, this is more than enough for a fast outgoing web connection, much faster (and more reliable) than the service I used to pay for (at £37 per year). All I had to do was get my web addresses (www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk or www.ottervalley.co.uk) to point to a free dynamic domain website (because I don't have a static IP address) and there you have it. It's been running for a couple of months now without a hitch and it seems to be very quick and very reliable.

Also, I have recently installed a lightning detector. A few problems getting the old lightning detector PCI hardware installed on my PCI Express motherboard but all sorted now. There is still a lot of calibration to do so the real time lightning strikes can occasionally be way off the mark. I have installed the antenna on a 3 metre plastic pole on the side of the house. The maximum detection range seems to be around 600 kms but due to the hills around I think in some directions that is rather hopeful. It's early days yet but tracking the recent thunderstorms has been very interesting. You can view the lightning stikes in real-time on my website. Any feedback on the website, layout, lightning detection etc would really be appreciated.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk