Snow pellets

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
David Naylor

Snow pellets

Post by David Naylor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Could someone refresh my memory .... Does a day of snow pellets (graupel) falling constitute a day of snow or just hail?

Regards, David

Martin Rowley

Re: Snow pellets

Post by Martin Rowley » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm

... well, I'll pitch in to be shot down(!): I always regard such as a day of /hail/ - *unless* the shower is genuinely accompanied (as in the published definition) by flakes of snow - in which case I record both a day with hail and snow.

All the coding for things like NCMs, Beauforts, SYNOPs (old and new form) etc., all put snow pellets (aka soft hail/graupel) in the 'hail' classification - and that's what I cling to - rightly or wrongly.

I wish they hadn't changed the name many decades ago: 'Graupel' or 'Soft hail' always seemed sensible to me.

Martin.
Martin Rowley
West Moors, East Dorset
Lat: 50deg 49.25'N, Long: 01deg 53.05'W
Height (amsl): 17 m (56 feet)
COL category: C1 overall/TRSHEUN=CC-A03-

David Naylor

Re: Snow pellets

Post by David Naylor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for that, Martin. That was my understanding. There are also similar considerations for the classification of snow grains, but as it's the wrong time of year, I won't go into that one!