February Sunshine

This forum is for discussion of longer term weather trends, e.g. monthly or seasonal patterns, droughts, heatwaves, cold snaps, etc.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

February Sunshine

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Passed 100 hours of sunshine today putting this February in the sunny(ish) category. My sunniest February was in 2008 with 130 hours.

Unbroken sunshine all day with today's total exceeding 10 hours for the first time since the 3rd October, though several days have come close over the last week.

With just a very light breeze and a maximum of 7.3C, it was a lovely day and quite pleasant to be sat outside in the warm sunshine. The sun's elevation now above 30°.

Still, the monthly average temperature is below normal and likely to fall further. This month now holds the record for the greatest number of air frosts in February (12 so far), and the largest number since December 2010 (though none of the frosts have been severe).

1st - 24th
Mean minimum = 1.1C
Mean maximum = 9.2C
Mean = 5.2C
Rain = 37.6 mm
Sunshine = 106 hours.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Len Wood

Re: February Sunshine

Post by Len Wood » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 pm

I agree Nick, nice and sunny Feb.
My records from solar panels only go back to 2012, but Feb. 2018 may be a record.
It nearly beats 2014, with 3 days to go.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: February Sunshine

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Len, 5 hours of sunshine today and coupled with yesterday's unbroken sunshine all day, the total is now up to 122 hours. My February 2008 record of 130 hours could be beaten.

A rather chilly one today, a maximum of only 3.6°C making it the coldest day maximum since 3.3°C on the 11th February 2017.

I reckon that this coming Thursday could be the coldest March day I have ever recorded. We'll see as the latest outputs bring the warmer air into the South West rather quicker than previous forecasts.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk