No named storm but

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Len Wood

No named storm but

Post by Len Wood » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:01 am

The depression centred 987 mb with gale force winds and provided folk with a bit of of shock country-wide.
Even for those in the Southeast. :P
Not enough impacts forecast to warrant it being named apparently.
Total rain in 24 hours here was 16.7 mm. Nothing unusual.
It came down in torrents though for short spells and turned the local roads into rivers.
Wind battered my garden and left some small debris.

It seems the present wet spell is making up for the dry April this year.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Greg Gruner

Re: No named storm but

Post by Greg Gruner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:09 pm

24.2mm in my gauge here in Farnborough this morning. Winds quite strong but no damage around here - just a few branches down.
After the dry April/start of May, the rain and warmth has got the garden growing with almost tropical speed. Roses flowering in May!

I'm surprised they didn't name that storm, since although not as a deep as a winter storm, in summer it can have more impact for the same wind speed.

Richard Hunt

Post by Richard Hunt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 pm

The wettest day here since 7th July 2012 with 30·9 mm in the gauge.

Wind gusted to a maximum of 24 knots, so nothing too bad although some twigs and small branches down.

Barometer fell to 982·9 mb at 0924 UTC.
COL Station: 25020

N 53°54'.185". W000°10'.235"

10m AMSL

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Nothing remarkable though it was a tad windy with a maximum gust of 40 mph (high for here in a summer month).

There was 15.4 mm of rain on the 5th, it was sunless and a maximum of only 15.2°C made for a rather depressing summer's day. Hopefully summer-proper will arrive soon. Another one like last year would be good.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk