Wick for wetbulb mercury thermometer

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
Jonathan Jefferies

Wick for wetbulb mercury thermometer

Post by Jonathan Jefferies » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello

I need help in obtaining a wick for my wet bulb mercury thermometer. Any information on where i can obtain one would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Richard Griffith

Re: Wick for wetbulb mercury thermometer

Post by Richard Griffith » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:59 am

Jonathan,

You could try Bill Read at Read Scientific based in Norfolk. His contact details are:

bill.read1@virgin.net or telephone number 01760724546

Regards
Richard Griffith
Amateur Meteorologist
Horsham, West Sussex
follow me on twitter @Metman062

Jonathan Jefferies

Post by Jonathan Jefferies » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 am

Many thanks for reply and information.

Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 pm

How did you get on Jonathan? I need wick too.. having a devil of a time finding anything suitable for a met pattern sheathed thermometer!

Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Sorry for the late replay but I have been ill for some weeks.

I make my own. Very simple. you need some cotton sheet, old handkerchiefs or similar, a bodkin and some handicraft or dishcloth cotton. Cut a piece of the cotton sheet around the size of a 50p piece. Thread the dishcloth cotton through thouogh the outside of the small cut out a couple of times remembering to leave lond 'tails' to go in the water. Job done. Total cost around £3, and a lifetime's supply of wick.
The other alternative is to get hold of some very small circular bandage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEROGAUZE-TU ... Flh4HLnaLA

for example. Cut a piece to length and secure with small cable ties either side of the bulb. Job done. I have both methods workign in my weather stations and producing results in good agreement with each other and with a Vaisala humidity sensor.

Mike

PS I have not managed to get hold of Bill Read for some time. Not sure if he is still in business.

John Wilson

Post by John Wilson » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

Good morning all, and commiserations to those suffering from wick deficiency.

Seriously, I too am concerned about Bill Read. Last September I ordered barograph charts from him. They were delivered very promptly as always, but my cheque, dated 3rd September 2016, has not been cashed. I have tried to phone this morning but the telephone seems to be permanently engaged. Does anyone live near enough to Swaffham to call in? His address is 32 Brancaster Way, Swaffham, Norfolk , PE37 7RY.

Last night's rain brought my monthly total up to 46.1mm, 102% of LTA.

John