Best for calibration

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
Jonathan Jefferies

Best for calibration

Post by Jonathan Jefferies » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 am

Hi
I bought mercury Max/Min, dry bulb and wet bulb thermometers a couple of years ago and never had a calibration certificates with them. I think its now time i got them calibrated really, should have done from the start but im new to recording the weather. Which is the best option, either,

A: Obtain calibration certificates for the mercury thermometers or
B: Purchase a Tinytag for calibration of temperature and humidity.

All thermometers are housed in a Met1 screen.

Many thanks

Richard Griffith

Re: Best for calibration

Post by Richard Griffith » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 am

Jonathan,

There use to be a company Dowding and Mills who offered calibration service for glass thermometers however the link I had for them appears to have gone. A quick search on the internet shows Brannan offer a service - http://www.brannan.co.uk/thermometer-calibration
However sometime ago when I asked about costs of calibration it was quite high per thermometer.
I have used a TingTag logger for some years now and they are very good. I think the cost of a logger plus sensor is around £150 plus cost of calibration certificate but once done they are stable. I have changed the battery on the logger a couple of times and not needed re calibration. My logger is normally within 0.2C of my (calibrated) Campbell Scientific sensor. If ordering a new logger with calibration certificate this should be sufficient to check your glass thermometers.

Regards
Richard Griffith
Amateur Meteorologist
Horsham, West Sussex
follow me on twitter @Metman062

Jonathan Jefferies

Re: Best for calibration

Post by Jonathan Jefferies » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Thank you Richard for the reply.
I think I may have gone overkill with purchasing mercury Thermometers really and should have just my AWS sensors with a Tiny tag for calibration but there you go.
I think a Tiny tag is the way to go then.

Many thanks