Recording hail lying as opposed to snow lying at 0900

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
Tony Herron

Recording hail lying as opposed to snow lying at 0900

Post by Tony Herron » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 pm

A very rare occurrence here overnight of frequent hail showers putting down 2 or 3cm covering solely of hail. On most occasions when a hail covering has persisted this has resulted from a mix of wintry showers including snow, hail and pellets. I have not recorded it as a day of snow lying but have noted that the accumulation consisted entirely of hail and pellets. On higher ground near here in the forestry at 300 masl there was 7cm accumulation of several cm of hail stones on top of snow cover. Just wondered what others would do given these rare circumstances?

Len Wood

Re: Recording hail lying as opposed to snow lying at 0900

Post by Len Wood » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:52 pm

I don't think COL has any place in the log to record hail lying. It just should be recorded in the usual hail falling place according to size.
Your observation though is interesting and could be put in the comments for a specific day in the month.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Thomas Woodford

Re: Recording hail lying as opposed to snow lying at 0900

Post by Thomas Woodford » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:58 pm

I note that according to page 299 of "The Weather Observer's Handbook" (Stephen Burt, 2012), falls of snow pellets and ice pellets "count as 'snow' for statistical purposes". This is in the context of notes on "snow or sleet observed to fall" . Logcally, it would seem to follow that any accumulations from (or partially from) falls of snow or ice pellets should therefore count as "snow lying" although I have to say I'm unclear about this, and I suspect it could be a point of debate! Can anybody shed any light on this and is there an authoritative view, e.g. from the UK Met Office or the World Meteorological Organisation?