The Snowdon 5 inch copper rain gauge

For questions, answers, advice and discussion relating to weather recording equipment and observational procedures. This will include the use of conventional equipment and electronic automatic weather stations.
Len Wood

The Snowdon 5 inch copper rain gauge

Post by Len Wood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:56 pm

Does anyone know, maybe Stephen, when the Snowdon 5 inch copper raingauge was accepted as standard in the UK?

Someone asked me the other day during a discussion of rainfall records.
I know Symmonds was instrumental in trying to standardise rain measurement, but I am not sure when the 5 inch gauge was introduced.

Thanks for any info.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Adrian Hudson

Re: The Snowdon 5 inch copper rain gauge

Post by Adrian Hudson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello Len,

I believe it was in July 1921. On page ix of "British Rainfall" 1920, under the heading "Standardization of Rainfall Records" it states, in an excerpt from the "Meterological Magazine of July 1921" [yes, it appears to be time travelling into the future] that "The prototype of the approved gauge is the Snowdon rain gauge"... etc etc

See: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/g ... l_1920.pdf

Regards,
Adrian

Len Wood

Post by Len Wood » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:34 pm

Thanks Adrian for that info and the link.
Fascinating to see the 'Snowdon' was apparently just one of 5 patterns in 1920.
Cost £2 .

Somebody must have dreamt up the name 'Snowdon' having designed it I suppose.

Present price £234.

I can't find the receipt but I think I paid about £50 for mine in 1980.
Len
Wembury, SW Devon coast

83 m amsl

Adrian Hudson

Post by Adrian Hudson » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Len,

Yes, I can't find any reference to who "Snowden" was. British Rainfall says "There appears to be some difference of opinion as to the inventor of the " Snowdon " funnel, but whatever may be the origin it is clear that its introduction marked an important step in the solution of the problem of accurate rainfall recording."

I got mine on Ebay - the price for a new copper one, about 5 yrs ago, being more than I could justify. It had been unused for several years and was a bit worse for wear but after some soldering was returned to full working glory - I even polished it, which was of course a total waste of time - but it looked nice for a few weeks!!