September 2016 - 1st Half 'Warm and often cloudy'

This forum is for discussion of longer term weather trends, e.g. monthly or seasonal patterns, droughts, heatwaves, cold snaps, etc.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

September 2016 - 1st Half 'Warm and often cloudy'

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:15 pm

The heat affecting parts of central and south eastern England hasn't managed to come this far west and whilst this has been a warm September so far, the maximum day temperatures haven't really been that unusual and not far off what you would expect for the 1st half of the month, which really is a continuation of summer in most years.

September 1st - 15th
Mean maximum = 21.7°C
Mean minimum = 13.1°C
Mean = 17.4°C
Rain = 30.7 mm
Sunshine = 67 hours.

Rain above the average in what is a normally dry month and the sunshine level is well down. This has so far been an unusually dull September. The 1st half of September 2015 recorded 108 hours and the month went on to have a total of 225 hours.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: September 2016 - 1st Half 'Warm and often cloudy'

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:18 pm

The September warmth has continued as so has the rather low amounts of sunshine. Saying that though, today was one of the sunnier days this month with over 10 hours of the lovely, warm, bright stuff and another 20°C day.

The monthly sunshine total passed 100 hours today which still puts this month's efforts into the 'dull' category and this September could end up the cloudiest I've recorded since before 2007.

1st - 22nd September:
Mean maximum = 21.2°C
Mean minimum = 12.7°C
Mean = 17.0°C
Rain = 31.5 mm
Sunshine = 110 hours.

Picked the grapes from five of my vines last weekend and got 30 litres of juice which is a little less than last year but the sugar content was much higher. I suspect the drought-like conditions in late-spring and early summer, then further extremely dry conditions during July and early August were responsible for the smaller juice volume. The juice is now fermenting away merrily (OSG = 1.080), should be ready to drink in time for Xmas 2017.....
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk