27th December 2016 - High Air Pressure

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

27th December 2016 - High Air Pressure

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:31 pm

This came as a bit of surprise when I uploaded my data due to being distracted by the festivities of the season....

According to my VP2+ the air pressure peaked at 1043.9 hPa on the 27th December at 11:00.

Checking my air pressure records going back to May 2005, that was the highest pressure I have recorded though caveats do apply such as change of instruments over the years. This beats my previous record high of 1042.6 hPa on the 29th December 2014.

Later that afternoon and evening the wind direction changed from a general ENE direction to ESE drawing in air off the sea rather than the land. This caused the temperature rise and led to an unusually 'mild' night despite the crystal clear, super starry and light breeze conditions. The temperature throughout most of the night remained 9°C to 10°C, only briefly dropping to the minimum of 8.1°C when the light breeze reduced to calm.

A very pleasant day ensued with unbroken sunshine and a maximum temperature of 11.2°C.

When living so close to the sea, even subtle changes in wind direction can make all the difference.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk

Richard Hunt

Re: 27th December 2016 - High Air Pressure

Post by Richard Hunt » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:25 am

The air pressure maximum reached 1044·2 mb at 0215 UTC on 28th December, which is the highest of the year, the highest pressure for December since 2003, and the second highest in station records.

It gave unbroken sun for most of the week and calm windless days, and superb crystal clear skies for astronomy.
COL Station: 25020

N 53°54'.185". W000°10'.235"

10m AMSL