Warm spring sunshine

This forum is for discussing and posting observations of short term weather events that have taken place within the last few days. It could include details of thunderstorms, snow, rainfall, hail, temperatures, etc. Please create a thread for the day, or add your comment to the existing thread if it is related to previous comments there.
Chris Richards

Warm spring sunshine

Post by Chris Richards » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:41 pm

The past couple of hours have seen the sun breaking through thinning wave cloud here on Wirral - with almost continuous sunshine the past couple of hours.Temperature topped 14 deg C shortly after midday, with 11 deg dewpoint, so we are still in the mild air mass. There are signs of thicker cloud to the north, now,ahead of the colder Pm air starting to spread south again. This part of the "warm" airmass seems to be drying out, ahead of the cold front to the north! Very interesting - and very springlike!

Chris Richards

Nicholas Gardner
Location: Rural riverside valley location near the village of Newton Poppleford and 2 km from the sea.

Re: Warm spring sunshine

Post by Nicholas Gardner » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Yes, Sunday (21st) felt like a real spring day with a maximum of 16.8°C. This was the highest February temperature I've recorded since before 2005.

It also had the warmest February high minimum I've recorded with 11.8°C.

With just a few days to go before the official start to spring, the sun is really getting strong now and despite being told to 'wrap up warm' today and expect temperatures in single figures it ended up surprisingly warmer than that with a maximum this afternoon of 11.8°C and virtually unbroken sunshine.

With just a light breeze it was warm enough to lie out in the hammock this afternoon and have a snooze in that lovely strong sunshine.
Otter Valley Weather
Near Newton Poppleford, Sidmouth - Devon
50:41N 3:17 W; 20 metres AMSL; Station Grade B-BAAA37
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk